University life: freshers to second semester



Hello everyone, welcome back to my blog. I feel like this post has been long awaited seen as I am now in the second semester. I know that a lot of you right now will be going through the UCAS experience I went through last year so I wanted to share with you what university is really like. I always knew I wanted to go to university but I was always in the unknown about it because I was the first in my family to go. University is a chance to move out and really become an adult (hello real world). I am going to start right at the beginning to break down how I have found university so far.


Application process

Firstly I am going to briefly talk about my application process, which was a stressful one. I always wanted to go to university as I would be the first in my family to go and that's something I would be very proud of. I started getting doubts when I had to start thinking about my UCAS application, everyone else in my class had sent theirs off and I still hadn't. I was very doubtful of myself and did not think I would get in, even though I got the grades last year that the university wanted. I think I just stressed myself out too much and because of this, I said I was not going to go. I actually changed my mind on the final day UCAS applications could be sent off, so yes I cut it very fine. I am so, so glad I changed my mind and sent it off!


Moving into university halls

If you didn't know I study journalism at the University of Sheffield and I didn't move far away from home, in fact, I live in the same city but I still wanted independence and live the proper 'uni life'.  I feel like moving out has made me into a real adult now as I have to pay for rent, budget and do my own food shop, things I just took for granted in the past. My uni room is really nice, I have my own ensuite and its a fairly spacious room for halls.  Moving out from home can be a nerve-wracking time but its such a great experience and I think I would have definitely missed out on so much if I didn't.

My uni room the day I moved out!


Freshers week

This is definitely the most talked about thing when you're getting ready to start university. I was so excited to meet new people and just celebrate the fact that I am at uni and the hard work paid off! Freshers week is so fun, there's no doubt about it. You will get something called freshers flu, which is dreadful but get some Lemsip down you and you'll be fine.  My first night of freshers as pictured below was something called icebreaker it was so fun and I already met so many new people on my course before I even started. 


University life

Freshers week is over and now comes the work. I'm not going to lie, uni is hard work and it's a totally different ball game to college or sixth form, nevertheless, it's totally worth it. My first essay deadline came around and I seriously started to doubt my place, but this is natural, it's a new thing. I got through it and I passed. I think the strangest thing for most students is the fact that most have come from a background of getting straight A's then getting to university and achieving passes. I think this is purely due to getting used to how uni works and how things are graded differently. You don't have any teachers nagging you or telling you everything you need to do like you would at school; you're an adult now you have to do things for yourself. The First year you only have to get 40%(a pass) which is good to be able to experiment and understand new academic techniques, as things you learned at school on how to write an essay are pretty much useless at uni as most have different referencing techniques etc. The best thing to do is seek help if you're struggling and most importantly don't be too hard on yourself, it's very unlikely that you'll be getting firsts in your first year if you are then well done you! My main advice is to always strive for higher than your target; I always try and push myself higher just so I can learn and become more advanced. Striving for just the standard can make you a lazy student as you're not pushing yourself, do not think that just because you only need a pass for first year that you should not fully try.

Firth court at the University of Sheffield.

All in all, I am so glad I chose to go to university it has really broadened my job prospects in the future and I really agree with people when they say that say uni is the best years of your life. You meet so many new exciting people and learn new things that will shape your future. 

My second semester is now in full swing and I am taking everything I learned from the first into the second and it has really helped. My advice on university would be to only go if you're 100% sure and are passionate about what you're studying, you're paying £9000 a year so it's important to be certain. Of course, uni isn't for everyone and that is fine and you shouldn't be pressured into going if you're not an academic person because like I said it's hard. I have lots of reading to do weekly and it's something you don't get rid of; it's something you should be aware of when applying. 

I hope this post helped a little and let me know your uni experience in the comments
Until next time,
Lauren
x




No comments